One Step Back: Rebuilding Frame E
The dry-fitting of all the stringers to the hull uncovered a major flaw in my work. It took the experienced eyes of the workers at the yard only a quick glance to spot the problem.
| Frame E v2 |
The stringers were buried too deeply where they attached to frame E, which meant they weren't following a fair curve. Because of my inexperience, I had cut the notches too deep, without paying enough attention to the proper curves or, more importantly, to how this would affect the surface where the plywood would eventually be fitted during planking.
| The notches were too deep... |
Even with correctly sized notches, there was another issue: the stringers are quite stiff, and naturally wanted to sit slightly further outwards from frame E. But my notches had already taken them too far in, making the overall curve even worse.
I discussed several possible ways of correcting the problem with the experienced builders at the yard, but eventually we reached the conclusion that there was no easy fix: I would need to build a new frame E.
It was actually a good thing that I was about to leave for my summer holidays. Having a few weeks away from the project gave me some time to forget about this rather demoralising setback!
After a few weeks of rest and fun, I came back determined to sort it out quickly. I initially considered using the tick stick technique to create a template for the new frame, but in the end I found a much simpler solution. I disassembled the faulty frame and used it as a reference, drawing a slightly enlarged version around it.
| Back to the old drawing board |
The idea was to make the new side pieces slightly thicker, leaving some extra material that I can plane away later when the plywood is fitted to the hull. This should give me enough flexibility to make the final hull shape fair.
Once the new frame was drawn, everything went surprisingly quickly. By now, I'm much more proficient with the table saw, so making all the precise cuts for the pine strips and plywood knees was considerably faster and easier. In fact, I think this was probably the best frame I've built so far.
| Quick and precise cuts made with the table saw |
The curved sides and top also went smoothly. I'm much more comfortable now with the bandsaw, plane, rasp and file, and all those tools that seemed so unfamiliar when I started the project have gradually become part of my normal workflow.
| Cutting the curved tops using the band saw |
| Fairing the curve with the rasp and file |
If I were starting the project today, I honestly think I could build all the frames in about a third of the time it originally took me. I've joked before that building my next boat will be much easier... although hopefully there won't actually be a next boat!
The glue-up also benefited from all that accumulated experience. I spent more time preparing everything beforehand and was able to glue the entire frame with much less mess. In fact, I only needed one pair of gloves for the whole glue-up, whereas in the beginning I was constantly changing them because I'd inevitably end up touching something with epoxy-covered hands.
| The extra plywood knee between the top sides |
| The glue-up - much tidier! |
The new frame came out very well, and fortunately I didn't lose too much time rebuilding it. Now I need to install it back on the strongback and cut all the stringer notches again.
This time, I really hope I get them right!
Comments
Post a Comment